Women in Science and Engineering (WiSE) Learning Communities
- Learn how to apply to the WiSE Learning Community
- Learn more about course clusters
- Learn more about residential component for Learning Community students
- First-year Frequently Asked Questions
Second-year Learning Communities
Through support from Alcoa, The Program for Women in Science and Engineering offers a learning community for our second-year students. Focused around a 1-credit course U ST 201, the Sophomore Success Learning Community offers a seminar course focusing on professional and leadership development. It isn't required to be in the course to participate in the Sophomore Success learning community, but it is encouraged!
The Sophomore Success Learning Community also includes tutoring, a Job Shadow Program, networking events with professionals, and meetings with Peer Mentors. Students participate in a series of optional events exclusively for second-year students which include:
- Attending cultural events and discussions
- Professional development luncheons
- One-on-one and group meetings with Peer Mentors
- Job Shadow Programs (In the past have included: Rockwell Collins, General Mills, Pella, the Great Ape Trust, University of Iowa School of Medicine and the Mayo Clinic, Iowa Department of Natural Resources, and more!)
We expect our students to sign a community agreement form to participate in the Sophomore Success Learning Community agreement. The agreement explains the expectations we have from our second-year students. All students interested in the Sophomore Success Learning Community can review the agreement here.
Transfer students have many needs and our Transfer Learning Communities are designed to be flexible. Transfer students have the option of living with other women in science, engineering and math fields in Iowa State University owned apartments and receive support through a peer mentor. Transfer students are also encouraged to get involved in the Second-year Success Course. Learn more about the options for transfer students...